5 Mistakes that Ruin your Antiques
If you are an avid collector of French antiques the very last thing you want to do is ruin your antiques. No one purposely attempts to ruin their antiques, but sometimes improper care can lead to irreversible damage. To ensure that your antiques stay in the best shape possible we are going to share five mistakes that can ruin your antiques.
- Improper cleaning methods- Research your antique to find the correct cleaning practices.
- Refinishing furniture- Less is more. Refinishing a rare antique depletes its value and changes the look.
- Displaying in sunlight- Direct, bright sunlight will permanently damage the color of your antiques.
- Restoration by an amateur- Attempting to complete a complex restoration on your own can leave your antique with increased damage. Consult an expert and leave complex restorations to professionals to make sure your antiques retain their value.
- Improper storage practices- To preserve your antiques do not store them in damp areas, or places that are extremely hot. A good tip is to store your antiques in places that feel comfortable to you.
Now that you know what not to do to antiques visit French Quarters and pick out a few pieces for your home.